November 3, 2009

Luke the Wonder Kitty

It was the year 2000 and I was living in San Francisco. I had a wonderful cat named Nikki since college in the late 1980s. She was quite a talker, loved to sit in the sun on the back fire escape, had a beautiful grey coat but was diagnosed with diabetes at age 11. She was my companion for many years and I loved her very much. It came to pass that Nikki was pretty old (16) and got very sick because of her illness. I took her to Pets Unlimited for excellent services and the vets there took good care of her, but it was time for us to put her down as she was too ill to go on. All the staff was very kind and caring. The experience was so draining and sad but necessary and one of the most difficult choices I have ever had to make.

But this is a happy story right?

Well, after a few months of feeling very lonely and missing a feline friend, I decided to go back to Pets Unlimited. I had spent many hours there over the years as a volunteer helping at special events and as a cat socializer on the weekends. I had decided to get an adult cat since they really need to find homes. But as I rounded the corner, a fuzzy male orange and white adolescent cat caught my eye. He had the cutest face and looked very friendly. Our eyes met and I could tell he was interested too. And as I got my face close to his cage to look at him he licked my hand that was touching the metal between us. Oh, that was it! I asked to see him, we got to know each other and I thought about it overnight. Was it too soon? Should I look a bit longer? But I could not get “Duke” (as he was named at the time) out of my mind. I kept remembering how sweet and full of life he was and the perfect sound of his purring. So I adopted him the next day and it’s been a love affair ever since!

Luke the Wonder Kitty, as he is called now, is the most adorable cat I have ever known. He is friendly to everyone, goes crazy rubbing heads, loves to snuggle in bed and is always playful when he is not power napping. Sure he has his quirks - like a bit obsessive on the cleaning (such a neat freak!) and those hairballs upchucking at 2am - but all that is overlooked when I call him for his daily brushing and he raises his paw so I can get his arm pits. Funny, adorable and full of lovin’……that’s my Luke, and I have Pets Unlimited to thank!

I’m so happy with my boy and am looking forward to many great years with him. I hope others will know the same joy as I have when they take that chance and follow their hearts into your shelter.

Sincerely,
Luke's Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions or comments? We'd love to hear them: